Warnings: Mature Content, Flashing Lights, Unsettling Themes, Saddening.
Notices: Stub, Fan Favorite, Spoilers, Large Page, Copyrighted, Golden Throne, Upcoming Content
Were you looking for Doki Doki Takeover: Bad Ending?
Doki Doki Takeover! is a mod based off Team Salvato's 2017 visual novel game, Doki Doki Literature Club! and its remaster, Doki Doki Literature Club Plus!. It has 6 weeks facing off against the club members Sayori, Natsuki, Yuri, and Monika (who has 2 separate weeks in the mod).
It includes 12+ new songs, including 5+ freeplay unlockable songs, and remixes of Crucify (from Friday Night Fever), Beathoven (from VS. Kapi), It's Complicated (from Friday Night Funkin': Soft), and Glitcher (from VS. Hex) in the Festival Week.
Want to know more about Doki Doki Literature Club!?
Want to know more about Doki Doki Literature Club Plus!?
- 1 Characters
- 2 Development
- 2.1 Prologue: Just Monika
- 2.2 Sayori
- 2.3 Natsuki
- 2.4 Yuri
- 2.5 Monika (not to be confused with the prologue week)
- 2.6 Festival Week
- 2.7 Freeplay Songs
- 2.8 Misc.
- 2.9 Secret
- 3 Gameplay Mechanics
- 4 Trivia (General)
- 5 Cameos in other mods
- 6 Music
- 7 Dialogue
- 8 Gallery (General)
- 9 References
- 10 Download Links
Were you looking for Friendly Night Funkin's Monika?
“You have to work hard to convince people that you're both fun and worthwhile... I'm confident that we can all really grow this club before we graduate!”
― Monika, Doki Doki Literature Club!
Monika (モニカMonica) is one of the main characters and main antagonist of the psychological horror visual novel Doki Doki Literature Club!. Her mod was created by SirDusterBuster, including 3 main songs and a secret 4th freeplay song.
Want to know more about Monika?
Want to know more about Doki Doki Literature Club?
Monika has extensively long coral brown hair that she keeps in a high ponytail tied back with a large white bow, curled slightly at the ends. She has two prominent strands of hair beside her bangs that reach slightly past her chest. Her eyes are emerald green.
She wears the typical school uniform, which is a warm gray blazer over a brown sweater-vest, and underneath that a white-collared shirt, topped off with a red ribbon. She also wears a dark-blue skirt, black thigh-high socks, and white uwabaki slippers with pink tips. She holds her microphone with her right hand and a pink ballpoint pen with a heart shaped decor on top in her left.
During "Your Demise" and "Epiphany" she takes on a much larger form relative to Boyfriend, resting her elbows on a desk and glancing between Boyfriend and the player. On certain notes, her sprite will glitch, taking on a variety of distorted forms.
Monika is shown to be an intelligent and confident leader, albeit a slight perfectionist. However, most of her confidence is put-on, and she oftens feels at a loss about what to do. Because of this, she has come to rely a great deal on her Vice President Sayori for helping her run the Literature Club and caring for its members.
Playing a guiding role in the first act of Doki Doki Literature Club!, Monika gives the protagonist pointers and hints at what the different members of the club like when writing a poem. Despite this, she is actually quite jealous of her clubmates being the focus of the protagonist and elects to intervene. This leads to a series of disastrous events involving Sayori committing suicide, Yuri and Natsuki becoming worse versions of themselves and corruption of the game itself.
While hinted at, it becomes evident that Monika is self-aware, recognizing the fact she is trapped within a dating sim. She considers the members of the Literature Club her friends, but also views them as nothing but AI, which is why she had no trouble messing with and essentially killing them (indirectly causing the deaths of both Yuri and Sayori and simply deleting Natsuki from the game's files).
“It's my mission to make everyone happy.”
― Sayori, Doki Doki Literature Club Plus!
Were you looking for the Vs. Sayori mod by NEONVORE?
Sayori (サヨリ) is one of the five main characters of Doki Doki Literature Club!, the Vice President of the Literature Club and the protagonist's childhood friend.
Want to know more about Sayori?
Sayori has coral pink hair, cut chin-length and slightly curled at the ends, with a large red bow accessory on the upper left side of her head. Like the other characters, she has two prominent strands of hair beside her bangs, and her eyes are bright sky blue. She is of short-to-average height, which makes her the second shortest character in the game after Natsuki.
She wears the standard female school uniform consisting of a warm gray blazer, brown sweater vest, white button-up shirt, red ribbon, dark blue pleated skirt, white knee-high socks and white uwabaki slippers with sky blue tips. Because of her disorganization, Sayori wears the uniform quite lazily; her shirt is misbuttoned and messy at the collar, the blazer she wears is completely unbuttoned and the ribbon around the collar is untied.
Outside of school, she wears a bright pink frilled t-shirt and blue shorts with matching frills. It is unknown what shoes she wears. In both her school and casual outfits, Sayori wears a dark red bow on her head.
Sayori is initially portrayed as the archetype of a Genki Girl, expressing a bubbly and cheery disposition. She is very clumsy, noted for finding ways to accidentally hurt herself or to drop things. Regardless, she is shown to be cunning at times, such as attempting to convince the protagonist to accompany her to get something to eat only to have him buy something for her as she did not actually have much money on hand.
Sayori has been known to obsess over an activity, only to drop it a few days later, as stated by the protagonist during an interaction between the two. This could also be the case with writing poetry, as the protagonist wonders if she might drop it later on, though he also notices that she is a lot more passionate about writing, as she mentions earlier on that it helps her to express and understand her feelings better.
However, it is later revealed that she suffers chronically from depression and works very hard to make the people around her happy to cope with her own sense of worthlessness. She attempts to keep the peace among her friends, as she has had to break up arguments between Yuri and Natsuki in the Literature Club. Monika has noted that her sentiments are necessary to keep a calm and relaxing atmosphere, which is proven by her absence in Act 2.
Sayori is also introduced as the protagonist's best friend. The protagonist seems to view her as an airhead and slightly annoying at the beginning of the game, but immediately shows much more concern for her after Sayori confesses about her depression, despite her not enjoying the attention and worry in the slightest.
Sayori's depression makes her disorganized, and she often "cannot find a reason to get out of bed in the morning", which is why she is usually late for school. Her room is quite messy, and the protagonist has had to help her clean in the past. The protagonist notes how there hasn't been much change in her, and the changes the protagonist notices in her later are due to Monika's interference, amplifying her depression and finally driving her to suicide.
- Sayori's DDLC character file can be decoded into an .ogg file, which seems to be a recording of high screeching. Running the audio through a spectograph will reveal a QR code, which leads to the Project Libitina website.
- As also noted in the fan pack booklet, Dan Salvato chose Sayori as the character who inadvertently sets off the horror side of the game largely because he knew it would hit anime fans the hardest, i.e., seeing the archetypal girl who wants everyone to be happy be the one to commit suicide.
- In a livestream celebrating the first anniversary of the game's release, Dan cited the character Yui Hirasawa from K-On! as an inspiration for Sayori's character.
“I don't know how else to bring this up. But there's been something i've been worried about. Yuri has been acting kind of strange lately...”
― Natsuki's Third Poem (Act 2), Doki Doki Literature Club!
Natsuki (ナツキ) is one of the five main characters in Doki Doki Literature Club! and one of the three characters for whom the player can write poems to.
Want to know more about Natsuki?
Natsuki has straight pastel pink hair cut around chin length. Her bangs are swept to the right, having two prominent strands of hair beside them. Her accessories consist of a red Japanese-style crossed hairclip, as well as two red ribbons tying two small pigtails on either side of her head, with the rest of her hair let down. Natsuki's eyes are pink, and she is the shortest character in the Literature Club, a feature that results in people commonly mistaking her for a first year student.
She wears the standard female school uniform consisting of a warm gray blazer, brown sweater vest, white shirt, red ribbon, dark blue pleated skirt, white knee-high socks and white uwabaki slippers with sky blue tips. Out of school, she wears a low-cut white shirt with a black tank-top underneath, as well as a multi-layered frilled pink skirt. It is unknown what shoes she wears, as no full body art of her in this outfit has ever been seen.
Natsuki appears to be a brash, blunt, cranky, and seemingly arrogant girl at first, with a cute, softer interior as a result of insecurity, causing Monika to class her as the embodiment of a tsundere. Because of the protagonist's interest in Japanese media, he also recognizes this when interacting with Natsuki early in the game. Her defensive nature is a side-effect of interactions with one of her separate friend groups, and her father likely also plays a part in this.
While she is impulsive and frequently speaks without thinking, Natsuki truly cares about her friends and despite her obvious anger issues, doesn't enjoy fights or arguments with people. Over the course of the game, it is shown that she worries about Yuri, and on one occasion, she gives the protagonist a note asking him to help Yuri, recognizing that there is something wrong with her but fearing that if she spoke out, it would cause more arguments.
Natsuki is very stubborn and has a hard time expressing how she feels and what she wants. When repeatedly challenged, she often becomes awkward, tongue-tied and aggressive. Sometimes she may burst into tears, displaying the much more fragile interior she keeps hidden away from everyone.
- Natsuki is the only female character whose bangs are swept to her right rather than to the left.
- It is implied that Natsuki has an abusive father, ranging from medium emotional abuse in Act 1 to extreme physical abuse after Monika begins fiddling with the code in Act 2.
- Natsuki prefers to stay at the Literature Club rather than at her home and is visibly worried about fading into the background if more people were to join the club, even asking Monika to let her know in advance if a new member joins.
- Natsuki implies that her father finds manga childish and fears what would happen if he caught her reading it.
- The father wants her home no later than a specific time.
- Monika's alterations to Natsuki's negative traits in Act 2 intensify her father's abusiveness, evident by Natsuki's bolded "My dad would beat the shit out of me if he saw this" comment and Monika's "guess" that Natsuki's father does not give her money for lunch as she departs to school, resulting in her malnutrition and small stature.
- Related, Natsuki passes out in the Literature Club room, prompting Monika to give her a protein bar, saying it happens often enough to have Monika keep one in her bag in case it happens again.
- Natsuki's insecurity being the fuel to her tsundere archetype and boastful attempts at superiority, as she looks for approval and jeers from others without being laughed or mocked at, a common symptom for victims of child abuse.
“You must be willing to open up to your readers, exposing your vulnerabilities and showing even the deepest reaches of your heart.”
― Yuri, Doki Doki Literature Club!
Yuri (ユリ) is one of the five main characters in Doki Doki Literature Club! and one of the three characters for whom the player can write poems.
Want to know more about Yuri?
Yuri has extensively long, straight, dark purple hair and light purple eyes, and she wears purple barrettes on both sides of her head, positioned upon two prominent strands of hair beside her bangs. While at school, she wears the standard school uniform consisting of a warm gray blazer, brown sweater vest, white shirt slightly unbuttoned at the collar, red ribbon, dark blue pleated skirt, white knee-high socks, and white uwabaki slippers with sky blue tips.
While at school, she wears the standard female uniform consisting of a warm gray blazer, brown sweater vest, white shirt slightly unbuttoned at the collar, red ribbon, dark blue pleated skirt, white knee-high socks, and white uwabaki slippers with sky blue tips.
Off school grounds, she is seen wearing a tan turtlekneck and black yoga pants. It is unknown what shoes she wears as there is no full body art or sprites of Yuri in this outfit. She is the tallest female character in the game, standing at 5' 5" (165 cm) in the game's concept stage, according to Dan Salvato. She is also the most physically developed, adding to her traits of maturity and insecurity.
Yuri is portrayed throughout the majority of the game as being shy, generous, polite, mature and eloquent. She shows a great deal of passion when discussing topics she is interested in, although she is also very insecure, awkward, and has a tendency to act slightly condescending and patronizing to mask her self-doubt. Her façade of passivity and level-headed nature occasionally breaks however, as Yuri argues passionately and aggressively with Natsuki over their differing opinions on writing styles.
As stated by the protagonist, Yuri tends to think before she speaks as to avoid any conflict with her clubmates, as it has been shown repeatedly that when she blurts out whatever is on the top of her head, Yuri can sometimes be quite rude or upset the person she is interacting with. Because of this, she has a deep desire to be liked by others and is afraid to speak her mind on matters as she believes it will make her seem unlikable.
Because of her passionate and slightly obsessive nature, Yuri can come on strongly when talking about things she enjoys, steering the flow of conversation and bombarding any other participants in said conversation. This becomes much more evident once her obsessive behavour is amplified in Act 2, causing her to hoard the protagonist to herself and snapping at anyone who attempts to get in her way or take the protagonist away from her.
Yuri is the "shrinking violet" (a term to describe a character who prefers to blend in with the scenery than to attract unwanted attention) or "dandere" of the club members due to her constant apologetic nature. The attribution is also because of being shy to discussions beyond her category of interest, her interests being literature, horror, and general surrealism which she examines and articulates expertly, encouraging others to follow as well.
- Yuri's version of the song "Okay, Everyone!" features a significantly different tone compared to the rest of the Literature Club's; it features a harp and cello to symbolize her sophisticated nature and poetic style. Her version is also noticeably more withdrawn, also reflecting her shrinking violet personality.
- In the main menu artwork in DDLC, Yuri seems to have two right feet. This is likely an artistic error.
“Will I really be happy spending every day after school in a literature club? Perhaps I'll have the chance to grow closer to one of these girls...”
― MC, Doki Doki Literature Club!
The "Main Character" is the protagonist of Doki Doki Literature Club! and a side character in Doki Doki Takeover. Due to the fact he is given a name by the player, the protagonist does not have a canon name.
Want to know more about MC?
He wears the standard male school uniform consisting of a warm gray blazer, brown sweater vest, white shirt, red necktie, dark blue pants, white or gray socks and white uwabaki slippers with sky blue tips.
Not much of the protagonist's personality, as he is meant to be a self-insert blank slate for the player. However, it has been mentioned that his interests include anime and he doesn't have many friends, meaning he likely isolates a lot.
He does seem to go with whatever anyone else says (regardless of whether he wants to or not) and attempts to remain in good standing with his clubmates in the Literature Club in order to develop a potentially romantic relationship with any of them.
- Monika is the only character who does not have a romantic interest in MC, as she falls for the player controlling him.
- Yuri and Sayori are the only two who confess their love to MC.
- Consequentially, they are also the only two that die (being deleted by Monika, Natsuki doesn't count).
- The creator of DDLC, Dan Salvato, does not see MC as a real character.
- The protagonist doesn't sing with Boyfriend. As such, he has no singing voice.
- He is determined to get into a relationship with any of the club members after joining the Literature Club, willing to even put up with Natsuki. This is either a sign of great patience or desperation.
- The protagonist can be quite dense at times, missing obvious romantic signals from his female clubmates.
Prologue: Just Monika
The Doki Doki Takeover mod was made by a group of 7 people, but has received contributions from about 9 people in total.
High School Conflict
On February 7th, 2021, DusterBuster uploaded the Monika mod to GameBanana, which at the time only had one song, "High School Conflict," composed by FruityDaLei, vocals by Galactigal, and mastered by Retro Gaming. For the next 2 months, nothing much would be said about the mod or if any further songs would be made. On March 26th, Duster announced on his Twitter that the team was missing a song to complete the 3-song week, and that FruityDaLei had already completed the instrumental of the song for The Last Song.
On May 20th, 2021, an update for the Monika mod, titled "The Pre-Full Week Update" was released, serving as a teaser of changes to come to the future Full Week update. This included a complete recharting of High School Conflict, along with some minor tweaks and additions like revised dialogue and new sprites for Girlfriend, giving her a uniform matching the Doki's from Doki Doki Literature Club.
On October 27th 2021, another update was released, named "Doki Doki Takeover!", Which included a little rechart for High School Conflict, More Songs, A complete overhaul for the menu, and New Doki Designs for both Boyfriend and Girlfriend which gives them a uniform matching The Doki's.
Bara No Yume
Bara No Yume was composed by Kallionic. This song was released alongside the release of Monika Full Week Rebooted on June 30th. "Bara No Yume" translates to "Dreams of Roses" in Japanese.
In a couple of Twitter threads, we found out a lot more about the third song: Your Demise. The instrumental of the song was uploaded on the morning of May 9th of the same year by FruityDaLei. The instrumental was mastered by Retro Gaming, and this song uses The Notes of Markov.
Rain Clouds was composed by Stardust Tunes, which is the creator of Friday Night Funkin SD, The instumental was uploaded on a Twitter Thread July 26. Released alongside The Doki Doki Takeover! update.
Composed by Starrie_blu and additional mixing help by FruityDaLei. The song has an overlay effect with drawings of cats and hearts that become punkish during some segments.
Composed by Saruky_, this song has a transparent pink overlay with animated sparkles during some parts of the song, similar to Baka's overlay effect.
Composed by Matt$, Yuri becomes unstable mid-song. After this, Notes of Markov begin appearing with increasing frequency.
Monika (not to be confused with the prologue week)
Composed by HighPoweredKeyz and additional mixing help by Clem_O.
Crucify (Yuri Mix)
Remix composed by Clem_O, additional help by Stardust Tunes and original song composed by Foodieti for Friday Night Fever.
Beathoven (Natsuki Mix)
Remix composed by Kallionic, additional help by FruityDaLei and original song composed by Paper Kitty for VS. Kapi: Arcade Showdown.
It's Complicated (Sayori Mix)
Remix composed by Stardust Tunes and original song by Starrie_blu for Friday Night Funkin': Soft.
Glitcher (Monika Mix)
Remix composed by HighPoweredKeyz, additional help by Matt$ and original song by YingYang48 for VS. Hex. The style changes to the Hating Simulator during some parts of the song, like the Wireframe effect in Hex's mod.
Composed by Doki Doki Literature Club! creator Dan Salvato and vocal mixing help by Blantados.
Poems n' Thorns
Composed by Saruky and released back on the 3rd of July on Saruky's YouTube channel. It has been reworked ever since Doki Doki Takeover! came out.
Composed by Stardust Tunes and released back on the 30th of June on Stardust Tunes' Channel.
Composed by Matt$ and additional help by FruityDaLei, Monika can be seen in this. Notes of Markov are used through nearly the whole song. Near the end of the song, a popup will show up saying it is clearing unverified files from the game; at the end of the song, Monika is deleted.
Gettin' Doki (Menu Theme)
On June 5th, the creator of VS. Kiryu and programmer of VS. Cyrix put out a title of the final Monika menu music for a near release teaser. This menu music is a mashup of the Doki Doki Literature Club! main menu theme and the Friday Night Funkin' main menu theme. This was later re-worked into a new version, composed by FruityDaLei and Wreach.
Senpai's Death Theme
Senpai's Death Theme is a music box rendition of the song "Senpai" used when Senpai gets a game over in Your Reality.
In the Github version and the Post Reboot update of the mod, there is a hidden song named "Erb." The audio is taken from Goku VS Superman, a Epic Rap Battles of History video. It is only charted on Normal difficulty. Boyfriend's notes match those from Goku, and the opponent, in this case being Monika & Senpai (just Senpai in older versions), has notes matching those from Superman. However, only Monika is singing in this song due to the alternate animation not being switched on for the charting.
Notes of Markov
During Your Demise, Obsession, and Epiphany, black notes with red eyes will sometimes show up. Hitting these notes will kill you instantly like the black halo notes from the Tricky mod.
- The notes will slowly become more frequent as each song progresses.
- These do not appear on Easy difficulty.
- Monika is the first ever mod character to fully take after Senpai's sprite style and keep it close to the source material.
- Monika's sprites all face the screen instead of Boyfriend; this references her forward-facing sprites in DDLC and self-awareness.
- This is one of the first mods to depict Senpai accurately, rather than making him aware of being trapped in a game.
- Monika was speculated to be the sister of Senpai, but this was never evidenced in DDLC, and was promptly disconfirmed by Ninjamuffin99 in a Reddit AMA.
- Monika's first song, "High School Conflict," is a remix of Poem Panic! and DDLC's main motif, with the latter described in a YouTube comment by FruityDaLei as being based specifically off Dreams of Love and Literature.
- The second song of Monika's prologue week, "Bara No Yume", is one of the first modded songs to have two opponents singing separately, meaning the antagonists have two voice tracks instead of one; similar to Cocoa and Eggnog from Week 5 of the main Friday Night Funkin' game.
- In "Bara No Yume", Senpai sings parts of "Roses".
- Monika's third song, "Your Demise," is a darker rendition of DDLC's Your Reality mixed with FNF's Thorns, which includes a BPM that changes twice throughout the song.
- Monika briefly appears in the Kickstarter trailer for Friday Night Funkin': The Full Ass Game, in the portion featuring community-created content.
- The dialogue implies that this takes place before Monika's character file gets deleted in DDLC, or she is not aware of some of the events that had taken place in the main game.
- In DDLC, Monika has stated that she doesn't mind the player being a girl or a boy which may mean she is pansexual, bisexual or omnisexual.
- There were plans to include special notes that harmed the player in the initial release, inspired by Friday Night Funkin' HD. At the time, they were cut likely due to time constraints, though the release of the "Rebooted!" update would implement these special notes as the "Notes of Markov."
- Clicking O or P on the Main Menu of Monika will change the background to the Transgender pride flag background variation of the Monika BG or the "Monika's Friends!" art by DusterBuster.
- Pressing O and P together on Your Demise will result in the background behind the classroom windows changing to the placeholder used before the current one was completed. This background features Ray William Johnson as Goku from Goku VS Superman, a Epic Rap Battles of History video and also Mr. Incredible from The Incredibles. In the Doki Doki Takeover update, Mr. Incredible was replaced by a black and white image of Chris Pratt used in the Mario movie casting. This can also be seen in Dual Demise.
- Pressing G and enter on Jorge - SunSpirit's icon in the credits of the Monika Devs will also send you to the same Goku VS Superman video.
- Most of Monika's glitched poses during "Your Demise" reference various scares and distortions from her home game.
- Her up pose references the jumpscare in Act 3 that only occurs if the game detects that it's being recorded by streaming applications such as OBS.
- Her right pose is a reference to the "Ghost" easter egg in DDLC, where the girls on the menu screen would become monochromatic and eyeless. Closing the game during this easter egg would abruptly zoom in on Monika before the window closes.
- Her left pose references Natsuki's "Play With Me" scene in Act 2, if the player had written two poems for Natsuki.
- This is also referenced with Girlfriend on the mock System Error screen.
- Uniquely, Monika's down pose references Friday Night Funkin' rather than DDLC—calling back to the severed Girlfriend head in Week 5, rather than the Corruption mod.
- The background seen in Your Demise is the same room in Act 3 where the player meets with Monika.
- In the fatal error screen after Bara no Yume, the first two lines are actually a reference to Cyrix's dialogue in SYSTEM CRASH.
- As stated in this thread:
- Monika's Week takes place after Act 3 of DDLC (before she is deleted) and after FNF Week 6.
- DDLC and Hating Sim both exist as video games in the FNF world.
- Girlfriend is the one who played DDLC and wanted to bring Monika into the Hating Sim.
- Senpai and the BG Freaks don't remember what happened after Roses in Week 6.
- Monika isn't aware that GF was the person who played her game, mostly due to the fact that she's also in a video game when they meet.
- Monika doesn't know anything about the Spirit.
- Monika deletes the Spirit's .xml file, despite the fact it is actually a .txt file. This is likely an oversight.
- In addition, when Monika deletes Girlfriend, she deletes a file that doesn't exist within the game's files. The file associated with Girlfriend is called "GF_assets.xml", while the one Monika deletes is called "girlfriend.xml". This is likely another oversight.
- Monika is one of the few pixel characters that actually have danger icons.
- At the beginning of Your Demise, in Hard difficulty, the words "JUST MONIKA" are spelled out in Notes of Markov. However, it humorously appears to spell out "JUST HONIKA" because of the difficulty creating an accurate letter M with only 4 rows.
- In order to place Notes of Markov in the charting menu, the ALT key must be held down.
- In Glitcher (Monika Mix), Boyfriend's vocals are sampled from Bopeebo, the first song of Week 1 in the base game.
- There used to be a song preview in the sounds folder of the mod titled BEYOND_PREVIEW.ogg. This track was composed by Kallionic, but has since been removed from the game's files.
- Epiphany, the last song unlockable in Freeplay, is a 4th wall breaking, first-person perspective song; similar to Times & Tribulations' Hivemind or Minus eteled's System Failure.
- The Monika fought in this song was explained to be a different Monika, being the one the player had deleted in their own run of DDLC (the mod assumes the player has played DDLC).
- Epiphany's main motifs are pulled from two earlier Matt$ songs.
- Epiphany has the highest number of Markov notes, highest scroll speed, and highest note count; making it objectively the most difficult song in the mod.
- In Epiphany, Monika will call the player by the user name they have set on their computer.
- This effect is removed if the player has the 'Self-Awareness' setting disabled, Monika opting to use the name 'Player' instead.
- At the end of Glitcher (Monika Mix), the sound of Ben Tennyson’s prototype Omnitrix timing out can be heard.
- Crucify and Beathoven have the songs' special characteristics fully removed in this mod, the former having the opponent drain your health, moving and invisible arrows at times, and the health bar becoming invisible at certain points of the song, with the latter originally not having the opponent hold notes. Glitcher (Monika mix)amplifies it greatly, and brings Monika, Boyfriend and Girlfriend back to the Hating Simulator at multiple points in the song.
- There are some extra easter eggs for the menu that went unused, being Sayori hugging Bob (with Little Man on her head), Zipper, and Pompom, showed on a livestream of DusterBuster. (Note: The Zipper one is used in the final game.)
- DusterBuster stated that he created sketches of Sayori hugging other characters, including one of Sayori hugging Soft Boyfriend, but he only made this three.
- The following have a chance to appear on the main menu:
- An idle animation of Sayori, referencing her pose on the title screen of DDLC
- Sayori hugging Zipper
- An idle animation of Natsuki, referencing her pose on the title screen of DDLC
- Natsuki singing alongside Sunday
- An idle animation of Yuri, referencing her pose on the title screen of DDLC
- Yuri alongside Tabi
- A non-pixelated idle animation of Monika, referencing her pose on the title screen of DDLC
- Monika alongside Akiha
- Minus Monika
- Static and Cyrix glitching with an image of Monika's face
- Senpai wondering where his microphone is
- MC's idle animation
- A Cirno Fumo
- Sayori, Natsuki, Yuri and Monika together, reminiscent of their positions on the title screen of DDLC
- Some of the songs in the mod are remixes from the main game:
- The dialogue boxes in the mod represent the girls associated with that colour; Yuri is purple, Sayori is blue, Monika is green and Natsuki is pink.
- The reason why Monika is associated with green (such as her icon and dialogue box) once she is in the real world is most likely because her favorite color is canonically emerald green.
- This information could also describe Monika with the phrase "green with envy."
- The reason why Monika is associated with green (such as her icon and dialogue box) once she is in the real world is most likely because her favorite color is canonically emerald green.
- There is a very small chance pausing the game or dying can lead to a special retry screen with two options labeled "Restart" and "Put me back". Restart starts the song from the beginning and Put me back sends the player back to the menu. This also appears when 7 is pressed on the keyboard (attempting to open the debug menu) on any song.
- This screen is a reference to the infamous corrupted "hxppy thxughts.png" image found in DDLC's game files after Sayori commits suicide, depicting a crude drawing of Sayori with a rope around her neck. The image can also be seen during Act 2 much more clearly, as a possible special poem.
- Monika's voicebank is different in Hating Simulator and the "real" world because "some of her vocal data was lost in the transfer, and was restored once she returned".
- In Epihany, there is a 1 in 50 chance to be jumpscared by Monika when dying via a Note Of Markov. After the jumpscare, the game will close.
- The voice acting team for this mod released an official video dub of all its cutscenes on December 10th, 2021. At the end, plans for another major content update, including a standalone mod called Doki Doki Takeover: Bad Ending, were revealed.
Cameos in other mods
Note: All of these cameos are not canon to DDLC or the mod's story.
- In V.S. Pompom, Monika appears in the crowd in BARK! from song 3 onwards.
- In Friday Night Funkin': Soft, Monika can be seen in the train that passes by during Chapter 3.
- In Vs. Hatsune Miku, Monika appears in the crowd.
- In Vs. Beepie, Monika appears in the background.
2.4 (Normal, Hard)
2.5 (Normal, Hard)
Note: Lyrics are only in Doki Doki Literature Club, not FNF.
In my hand is a pen that will write a poem of me and you
The ink flows down into a dark puddle
Just move your hand, write the way into his heart
But in this world of infinite choices
What will it take just to find that special day?
What will it take just to find that special day?
When you're here, everything that we do is fun for them anyway
When I can't even read my own feelings
What good are words when a smile says it all?
And if this world won't write me an ending
What will it take just for me to have it all?
Is it love if I take you, or is it love if I set you free?
How can I write love into reality?
If I can't hear the sound of your heartbeat
What do you call love in your reality?
And in your reality, if I don't know how to love you?I'll leave you be
2.4 (Normal, Hard)
Who can stop this constipated jock
With the awful animation and the complicated plots?
Who's got the rap bombs to drop on Japan?
This looks like a job for the OG, Superman
I'm killing it, you're Krillin it, I'm villainous to vegetables
Who dance around in hammer pants and hide their tiny genitals
My level is incredible, I'm outta your league
You want justice? I'll bust this nut up in your Chi-Chi
Greasy slick emcee from DC
One breath'll freeze your whole measly species
You're primitive and limited, you live in a village of idiots
Step in Metropolis, I'll snap a carrot, period
How many times are they gonna rewrite your stories?
Your powers have been boring since the nineteen fucking forties
Defeat me with heat beams? you're crazy
'Cause I'm a Super Saiyan, you're a flying Miss Daisy
You're pretty pasty to be powered by the sun
You can't flow to Son Goku, I Kaoiken get it done
When I see your movies, all I do is watch the clock
'Cause there's nothing fun about a superhero scared of green rocks
Look at those pantyhose, you got that camel toe
I'll report to Lois Lane, then Superman that ho
Haha, your rapping is weaker than your fight scenes
Just one punch and over 9000 screams
I'll make your nose bleed like Roshi sniffing panties
From Z to GT, you can Dragonball deez
Don't lecture me about fights, you caped coward
You got your ass beat by a bat with no powers
There's only one way that this battle's gonna endOne more Superman who's never gonna walk again
High School Conflict DialogueMonika: So... Yeah!
Post-High School Conflict Dialogue
35pxNametag: Who the hell are you?!Monika: -huh?
Bara No Yume DialogueMonika: N-no!
Post-Bara No Yume DialogueSenpai: What are you-
Your Demise DialogueMonika: One more song.
Post-Your Demise DialogueMonika: I'll leave you be.
Final Cutscene DialogueMonika: ..!
Rain Clouds DialogueSayori: "Here, I'll go first!"
My Confession Dialogue
[Game glitches.]Sayori: "I AM the Club President."
Post-My Confession Dialogue
[Game glitches.]Monika: Ah- I'm fine. I don't know what that was-
My Sweets DialogueNatsuki: "Let’s just get this started."
Baka DialogueNatsuki: "Hit it!"
Post-Baka DialogueMonika: (If something goes wrong-)
Deep Breaths DialogueYuri: "This club continues to ask so much out of me."
[Sayori & Natsuki leave]Boyfriend: "..."
Post-Obsession Dialogue (1)
[Game glitches.]Boyfriend: "..."
Post-Obsession Dialogue (2)
[The game glitches and a picture of Natsuki, Sayori, and Yuri flashes on the screen]
[The game glitches again and shows GF and BF on the screen]
Reconciliation DialogueMonika: "Then let's do it!"
Pre-Crucify (Yuri Mix) DialogueMC: "And I'll see you two tonight at the festival."
Crucify (Yuri Mix) DialogueYuri: With a chainsaw."
Beathoven (Natsuki Mix) DialogueNatsuki: "Cue the music!"
It's Complicated (Sayori Mix) DialogueSayori: "It's complicated."
Glitcher (Monika Mix) DialogueMonika: "I think it's the name."
Final Cutscene DialogueMonika:"...and maybe-"
Epiphany DialogueMonika: "Here we go."
Your Demise (Old) DialogueMonika: Beware the Notes of Markov.
High School Conflict (Pre-Reboot) DialogueMonika: So... Yeah!
Your Demise (Pre-Reboot) DialogueMonika: One more song.
Final Cutscene (Pre-Reboot) DialogueMonika: ..!
Old High School Conflict DialogueBoyfriend: ..?
Old Roses DialogueBoyfriend: Bop beep be be skdoop bep
Roses Dialogue (Pre-Full Week Update)Senpai: -but back to you, worm! I'm gonna kick your ass hard!
https://twitter.com/SirDusterBuster/status/1478825070390824963/photo/1 [temp link, please fix ASAP]