Warnings: Spoilers, Saddening.
Notices: Large Page, Outdated, Upcoming Content, Golden Throne.
“Tight bars, little man...”
― Garcello, Release
Garcello is a character made by Atsuover & Rageminer. He is a heavy smoker.
Garcello is a teal haired smoker, with a brown hat covering up his eyes. He wears a grey/black hoodie with a plain white t-shirt underneath. He has teal pants, brown boots, white fingerless gloves, and smokes a green cigarette. The smoke he emits, including the tip of his cigarette, matches the arrows' colors, suggesting it may be some kind of fantasy drug, not nicotine or tobacco. Similarly, in Release and Fading, his whole body cycles between the individual colors. During Nerves, he states that his chest feels funny, and starts sweating throughout the song. For Release, he just straight up dies, appearing as a ghost connected to the cigarette. He is now able to breathe out smoke. Meanwhile, for Fading, since the cigarette starts burning out, he gains more faded colors, and has an increase in transparency, before disappearing completely.
Garcello is a laid back man. Unlike most of the opponents in Friday Night Funkin' and its community of mods and headcanons, he is not evil or chaotic. As a matter of fact, he holds no form of grudge or hate towards Boyfriend and is even one of the few opponents he has faced who respects him. Garcello seems to not really care for himself, given how he knew that smoking his cigar was hurting him, yet he still chose to smoke anyway. He was rather accepting of his demise, as shown how he died with a smile on his face after performing his last song with Boyfriend.
- Confirmed on Twitter, Garcello was first thought of when Atsuover was taking a shower.
- Garcello never uses a mic despite having no angry phases.
- According to the files, "Fading" was originally going to be named "Dip". This is a double entendre, meaning it's two kind of puns at once. One, is that people sometimes say they gotta "dip" when they have to leave. Dip is also a type of drug, named "dipping tobacco".
- This mod also has fully animated cutscenes that stray from the game's usual look, making it one of the only few to do that alongside Brightside.
- Garcello's final words, according to a file in the files, were "I'm going to the Ghost McDonalds." This might be a reference to Undertale, when you defeat the famous Sans in his boss fight on the Genocide Route, his final words were, "I'm going to Grillby's."
- Garcello is the first mod character to ever speak in their song, aside from Brightside and Big Brother. In "Release", you can hear Garcello say "Tight bars, little man..."
- In a concept art for Garcello, it is shown that he was supposed to be holding the cigarette backwards, "like a dummy". (See concept art below)
- During the first two tracks, the smoke that comes out of Garcello's mouth shares the same color as the arrows/notes he hits.
- Something similar is shown in the final two tracks, where his color scheme also match the note's colors.
- Same can be said about Garcello's cigarette in all 4 tracks.
- Before the song, "Release", Garcello states that him dying this way was probably better than what Girlfriend's dad would've done to him. It is said in Atsuover's HOW WE MADE GARCELLO ft. @Rageminer stream, it is revealed that he was sent by Daddy Dearest to get Boyfriend addicted to smoking.
- His mod is one of the few that have a song that isn't longer than one minute. His final song, Fading, only lasts 40 seconds.
- A possible reason as to why his final track is called "Fading" is that as stories say that if ghosts are happy with their life and can move on, they disappear.
- "Nerves" and "Fading" share a leitmotif with "Mediocre" and "Lover" respectively from the VS Annie mod, also created by Atsuover.
- Mediocre could be considered a beta version of Nerves.
- At 1:53 for the instrumental for Release, it contains a leitmotif to Good Enough from the Annie mod.
- At 0:30 for Fading in contains a leitmotif to the start of Release.
- Upon death, Garcello became a ghost of his cigarette's own smoke.
- When Garcello fades away, he's actually still in his down pose but is smiling like his idle. It's a subtle animation that one may miss.
- In the Minus Mod, Garcello's fading animation shows him doing the peace sign with his hand.
- In addition, his icon fades away with him, leaving the health bar to just have Boyfriend.
- Also, because Garcello's cigarette is part of his sprite in Fading, the cigar disappears with him.
- Garcello in Headache is the only one of his variants that doesn't have a special animation. In Nerves, he has a cough as an alternate down pose; in Release, he says "Tight bars, little man..."; in Fading, he has an alternate down pose where he smiles at the end, which happens right before he disappears.
- Garcello's voice was made using UTAU, a shareware version of the popular Vocaloid software, as well as voice samples from Rageminer.
- Fading is one of the shortest songs in Friday Night Funkin' mod history.
- His name is officially pronounced "Gar-sell-o". as confirmed by Rageminer.
- His name comes from a combination of the word "cigar" and the name "Marcelo".
- Garcello's order at Ghost McDonalds was a Regular McChicken, Large Fries, and a Large Iced/Sweet Tea, as confirmed by Rageminer in a tweet.
- According to Rageminer, Garcello's favorite music group is Mystery Skulls, with his favorite song being Ghost, also by Mystery Skulls.
- According to this Tweet by Rageminer:
- Garcello's tongue color matches the color of the smoke, which defaults to mint green.
- Stated by Rageminer in his stream Garcello's tongue changes color when hitting each note.
- Garcello is pansexual.
- Garcello's tongue color matches the color of the smoke, which defaults to mint green.
- When Garcello died, his soul was bound to the cigarette.
- Garcello faded away due to the cigarette crumbling to dust between Release and Fading.
- In addition, he couldn't go back to his body due to his soul becoming bound to the cigarette
- This technically means he lost his physical form.
- Garcello is a character skin in the Roblox game Arsenal, there is also a Death Effect that resembles his ghost form, he can be unlocked by using the code "GARCELLO".
- Currently, Smoke 'Em Out Struggle has the most viewed soundtrack in the entire Friday Night Funkin' community. For comparison, this means that it has even beat Madness and Ugh in term of views.
- An expansion for Smoke 'Em Out Struggle has been announced and is currently being developed, titled "Smoke 'Em Out Struggle +", which will feature additional mechanics and songs, and an additional week that's meant to serve as what Garcello would look like if he stopped smoking or never did in the first place.
- Atsuover & Rageminer have stated they have no interest in making any FNF mods after this one and the upcoming expansion.
- In The Date Week, he appears as a cameo, meaning that the mod takes place after all the cameos.
- Smoke 'Em Out Struggle is the second mod to surpass Vs. Whitty in terms of downloads. The first was Vs. Tricky.
- In RecD's Garcello WITH LYRICS By RecD - Friday Night Funkin' THE MUSICAL (Lyrical Cover), Annie mentions that Garcello loved to eat Cheez-Its, and would always devour an entire bowl of them when he stayed with her. Important to note, RecD's WITH LYRICS series is confirmed to be its own AU.
- Atsuover also voiced Annie in "Garcello WITH LYRICS."
- Rageminer (The original voice actor of Garcello) was going to voice him in Garcello WITH LYRICS, but didn't have enough time.
- As of the "How did we make Garcello" Stream, Annie and Garcello's FNF appearances are no longer canon within their lore, and as such, Garcello is alive within the Atsuover canon.
- One should consider that the FNF appearances are in a separate timeline. So Garcello is still dead within the FNF-verse.
- The song, Nerves, was originally called Mediocre as an unused song for the Annie mod. However, Atsuover forgot to rename the song as Nerves. Rageminer & Atsuover said in a livestream that they were very confused when putting the song in-game.
- In the cutscene before Release, Girlfriend cracks a smile. It's easy to miss.
- It was later confirmed that Girlfriend was so focused on the bright colors rather than Garcello dying right then and there.
- In Atsuover's "Just Drawing 4?" stream, it was confirmed that Garcello has nipples after a drawing depicting him without them arose suspicion that he didn't.
- A common misconception is that the second verse in Lover was based of Fading, but it is actually the other way around, as the VS Annie mod was created first.
- Another common misconception is that "Nerves" was inspired by Sonic 3's miniboss theme, falsely known by TikTokers as the Sonic 3 Theme Song. The confusion is due to a SiIvaGunner rip of said miniboss theme, within which the melody is swapped with that of "Nerves".
- Smoke Em' Out Struggle as well as VS Annie have a physical release album, dubbed "Hazy River" which includes all of their songs as well as a few extra on CD, Vinyl and Cassette Tape.
- During the atsuover event in RoBeats, you can get Headache, Nerves and Release as a song for 25 points.
- The same goes with the Vs. Annie songs (except Animal).
Cameos in other mods
Note: All of these cameos are not canon to Garcello's story.
- In VS Myra, he appears in the background as a ghost.
- In VS NDXL, he appears in the back of the stage in his ghost form.
- In V.S. Libidri, he appears in the crowd as his ghost form.
- In Vs Matt, he appears in the background of the song, Light-It-Up.
- In VS Codist, he appears in a poster.
- In VS Sketchy Redrawn, he appears as a drawing in the background.
- In Friday Night Funkin' HD, he can appear on a billboard that passes by in Week 4.
- In The Date Week, he occasionally appears as one of the characters passing by in the background, pushing Anchor around in a fish bowl. He also appears in the End Credits.
- In Times & Tribulations (Vs. Omega), he appears in the background of Free Soul.
- In VS Cheese, he appears in the crowd for the whole week.
- In Friday Night Bloxxin', he appears in the crowd in Guest's week.
- In Trouble Double V.S. Emma & Cuackbert, he appears in the crowd of Breeze, Mischief, and Hangout.
- In Shinobi Scramble, he appears on a mural painted onto the sliding doors in the background.
- In VS. Void, he appears in the crowd.
- In Vs. Ace, he is seen as a drawing on a window in the ending screen.
- In Friday Night Funkin': Soft, he appears in the upper crowd of Chapter 5.
- In V.S 8-BitRyan, he appears on a poster in the entire week.
- In VS Fizz, he can be seen in the background during Tokens in his ghost form.
- In Friday Night Funkin': Neo he appears in the background of week 5, and will soon have his own official Neo remake.
- In Vs. Ambion Corrupt Frenzy he can be seen sitting down on the ground in the background.
- In the Week 1 background of Fuckin' Funkin' W/Koi, he is seen in the crowd as a ghost in Rock, or freeplay bonuses if the background is used.
- In VS UniqueGeese - Feathery Fight, (as a mii) he appears at the crowd in Pissvile during Flock, Ascend, Homage, and Flightless (Corrupted).
- In Vs. Djentbot, he appears to be one of Djentbot’s models
- In Vs. Girlfriend he appears in the background during the song Holiday.
- In VS. Hex: The Weekend Update, he can be seen in the crowd during Weekend X.
- In Muted Melodies Vs. Tactical Cupcakes, he is the opponent of the 3rd week.
- In Retaken Sanity, Rebecca receives food from "Garcello's Ghost Burger" from her friends when they visit her in the hospital.
- In Vs. Beepie, he appears in the background.
- In Vs. Ditchu, Garcello appears in the background.
Headache DialogueGarcello: Helps calm the nerves, y'know?
Nerves DialogueGarcello: ...Right?
Release DialogueGarcello: Let's end things off with a bang, little man.
Fading DialogueGarcello: You two stay safe, alright?
Unused Release DialogueGarcello: Let's end things off with a bang, little man.
Dip DialogueBoyfriend: Beep...?"
- (Check Atsuover's pinned comment in the comments section of this source) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUBRA5Dw1Y0&ab_channel=atsuover