Notices: High Quality, Fan Favorite, Stub, Upcoming Content.
Friday Night Funkin': Maginage Matches (/mædʒɪnˈeɪdʒ ˈmæʧɪz/ ma-jin-AYJ MA-tchiz) is a mod created by Fran B. that features three original characters and three songs. The mod focuses on facing a group of friends: Tac, Lucian, and Abby, who are collectively known as the "Maginage Trio."
The mod takes place in an alternative universe during Boyfriend's (who's known in this mod as Boy) high school year at the Maginage Academy. Boy wants to impress someone he loves, Girlfriend (known in this mod as Girl), using his rap battle skills with the help from his closest friend, Tac.
The Maginage Trio originated as random characters Fran has doodled. Fran once had to make a school project of a film that focuses on the topic of bullying. Fran and her classmates decided to animate 3 of Fran's original characters as the main characters with Lucian being the antagonist. Eventually, Fran developed these characters and later created a whole world around them.
According to Fran, the mod also takes place in a universe where anthropromoprphic-like creatures are trained and qualified to serve as guardians for individual humans on earth. However, the world's structure is bound to change by the author. The Maginage Trio first formed when Tac first introduced himself to Abby. Lucian came from another school, Quilot Institute, and then Tac introduced both himself and Abby. The Maginage Trio are not animals, they just look similar to existing ones.
The mod starts with Girl having a mutual conversation with Carol about a dating simulator game. Later, Boy is seen delightfully watching them and compliments how pretty and popular Girl is. Boy then hopes how he'll be able to get Girl's attention. Boy then came up with the idea of showing off his rap battle skills around Girl and claims that would impress her. Boy searches an opponent and sees his friend, Tac, eating a sandwich by a tree and chooses him. Boy asks Tac to have a rap battle with him but is reluctant after claiming he isn't good with rap battles. Boy insists as he tells Tac that he needs to impress Girl convincing Tac.
After the rap battle, Tac told Boy that he had fun battling and considers doing it again. Boy agrees but feels disappointed as the girl didn't pay attention. Eventually, Lucian, another friend of Tac's, arrives and asks him what he was doing alongside Abby. Tac explained to Lucian what was going on but did not want to get involved and asked Tac to leave with them. Boy stops them and asks both of them to help him out. Lucian replies that he doesn't know Boy and doesn't like the whole "being the center of attention." Abby teases Lucian and accidentally attracts attention from a crowd of classmates. After seeing no escape, Lucian begrudgingly accepts Boy's challenge.
After winning against Lucian, the crowd cheers and finally gets Girl's attention. Boy turns cocky after Girl notices him and chooses to insult Lucian and humiliate him in front of the crowd to impress her even more. Abby steps in and stands up to Boy and feels extremely revolted after treating his friend like that. Boy, feeling intimated, effortlessly said to Abby that she does not scare him. Abby brushes it off and challenges Boy to a rap battle.
Mid-song during Acrimony, an infuriated Abby breaks her microphone in half and throws it away, and continues to rap-battle Boy
After winning against Abby, she attempts to attack Boy, but Girl arrives to shield him. Girl asks Abby what she was angry for, the latter replies with insults to Girl that she doesn't know the situation and only protects him because he's impressive. Girl argues back that it doesn't give Abby the right to hit Boy. Abby attempts to argue back at Girl, but Lucian and Tac stop her from continuing. Abby gives Boy one final glare and gives him a cutthroat gesture.
Tac is the first opponent of the mod and the Maginage Trio.
Tac resembles a yellow rabbit or mouse creature with orange ears, cheeks, fingers, and feet. He wears a blue zip-up hoodie with a large zipper and navy blue shorts. He has hair and a tail, which are swirls with a bead at the end of each.
Tac is calm, cheerful, and a respectful individual. He appears to be supportive of Boy after accepting his request of having a rap battle with him to impress Girl.
According to Fran, dynamic-wise, Tac is the ray of sunshine of the trio, but Lucian and Abby are just troublemakers.
- Tac's sexuality is panromantic.
- Tac's favorite food is sushi.
- Tac is neckless, so his head floats; it is not visible in the mod.
- A person named El Taco stole Tac's sandwich after the first song.
- Tac doesn't have a love interest.
Lucian is the second opponent of the mod and the Maginage Trio.
Lucian seems to resemble a pink dog creature that holds a baseball bat over his shoulder. He wears the usual school uniform with a hoodie tied around his waist and small earrings, two on each ear. He has a long, black tail pointed at the end and sharp canine teeth.
Lucian tends to stay neutral in situations given how he stated that he doesn't want to be part of Tac's activity and being the center of attention.
- Lucian is transgender, and his sexuality is bisexual.
- Lucian thought earrings looked cool but was hesitant to get them, so Abby bugged him about it until he did, so she is 60% the reason why Lucian wears earrings.
- Lucian is a member of the academy's Newspaper Club.
- Despite owning a baseball bat, Lucian doesn't know how to play baseball.
- Lucian's favorite food is chicken sandwiches.
- Lucian's part-time job is delivering mail.
- Lucian will be dating a person named Liam in the future.
- Lucian doesn't have relatives other than his parents.
Abby is the third and final opponent of the mod and the Maginage Trio.
Abby seems to resemble a yellow cat creature with a dark blue schoolgirl uniform. In the middle of Acrimony, she disposes of her mic and gets angrier, with a yellow glow in her eye(s) and a rougher hairdo (visibly exhaling through her nose like how angry cartoon bulls would).
Abby is an extremely aggressive and tempered individual who hold grudges against other individuals who provoke with her and people close to her given how she reacts after Boy insults Lucian and her attempt to punch the latter after losing against him in a rap battle. According to Fran, Abby has more enemies than friends and has busted too many kneecaps from people who underestimated her.
Abby is also overprotective of her friends. According to Fran, Abby comes from a background where people around her were not treated nicely, which in turn developed her overprotectiveness.
Despite being usually angry and agressive, Abby is soft and kind to her parents, and when her close friends are going through vulnerable times.
- Abby is a few months older than Lucian.
- Abby's sexuality is pansexual.
- Abby's hobbies include cooking, reading, and gardening. Abby's passion for cooking comes from one of her two fathers and prides herself in making very good pancakes.
- Abby's favorite food is any type of candy.
- Abby's losing icon is less saturated than her normal one.
- Amongst the the Maginage trio, Abby has gone through the most changes.
- Abby might have a love interest in the future. Currently, she doesn't have one.
- Abby doesn't have other relatives other than her parents.
Characters, including some from other FNF mods, can be seen in both the cutscenes and crowds. The characters are:
- Fran B. (creator, director, character designer, cutscene artist, and charter)
- Literally Nick (animator, sprite cleanup artist, and Lucian's voice actor)
- JADS (composer on the mod's pause menu)
- Savisa_Art (animator)
- Jamie (Tac's voice actor)
- Skedacho (programmer)
- Eden (instrumental musician on both "Tic-Tac-Foe" and "Hit N' Strike" alongside Literally Nick)
- Vero (vocal artist on "Tic-Tac-Foe" and "Hit N' Strike", and composer on the mod's cutscenes and menus)
- Kristina C. (moral support)
- Mocha (Abby's voice actress)
- In 0:55 of Hit N Strike, a leitmotif of Winter Horrorland can be heard.
- In 1:40 of Acrimony, a leitmotif of Foolhardy can be heard.
- During development, Boy's line in the first cutscene, "Man, she’s so pretty and popular... I wish there was some way I could catch her attention." was the most challenging line to come up with while writing the script.
- Silhouettes of Abby and Tac's old design can be seen in the background in one of the cutscenes.
1.7 (Normal & Hard)
Girlfriend: Have you heard of that new dating game? What was it called... Hating Simulator?
- [Enter Boy peeking in on Carol and Girl's conversation behind a wall]
- [Enter Tac standing next to a tree in the distance]
- [Boy grabs Tac by the shoulders]
Hit N Strike Dialogue
- [Enter Lucian and Abby]
- [Lucian looks around at the crowd surrounding him and Boy.]
- [Lucian looks at Boy angrily]
- [Abby does an intimidating pose]
- [Abby drags out her mic]
- [Abby stares at Boy maliciously]
- [Abby tries to punch Boy]
- [Before parting ways, Abby looks at Boy and Girl and makes a cutthroat gesture.]
THE ENDTHE END?
- Full OST on YouTube
- Album on Spotify
- Apple Music
- YouTube Music
- Amazon Music