“I WILL BE THE ONE! I MUST BE THE ONE! I WILL CAPTURE A HUMAN! THEN, I, THE GREAT PAPYRUS... WILL GET ALL THE THINGS I UTTERLY DESERVE!”
― Papyrus discussing his plans with Sans, Undertale
Papyrus is one of the main characters in the UNDERTALE. His motive in life is to capture a living human so that he can be accepted into the Royal Guard. He is Sans' younger brother and lives with him in the town Snowdin. Like his brother, Papyrus is named after the font his dialogue is always displayed in (that being the font Papyrus which is a font that is typed in all caps).
Would you like to learn more about Papyrus?
Papyrus appears as a tall and perhaps an anatomically inaccurate skeleton whose skull is more vertical and geometric compared to his brother. His eyes also resemble vertical slits, as well as his pseudo-brows preform most of the expressions he makes. He sometimes possesses eyeballs which only shows if he's expressing strong emotion. He is seen smiling in almost every pose (partially due to his personality, or due to having no lips to cover them).
He wears a red cape, matching gloves and boots, black stockings for his arms and legs, as well as a pair of blue briefs and a white chestplate with round shoulder armor and the Royal Guard logo on the top right. He calls this armor as a whole his "battle body". Papyrus is initially depicted without a microphone (J-Bug), however, he gains one in the game due to being modded over Daddy Dearest (JoetheHorse), as well as BunxMaker's Papyrus, and TheLunar27's Papyrus.
Papyrus acts like a flamboyant skeleton who presents a confident, charismatic image for himself. He is a hard working individual and despite his brash personality, he's still kind at heart. He is also optimistic, brave, and very considerate even if the protagonist beheads him during the Genocide Route. But, he is occasionally oblivious and non-observant, but can be cunning at times, for example, he uses reverse psychology to trick Undyne into befriending the protagonist. He depicts immense bravery even in the face of potentially inevitable death.
In J-Bug’s animation, the only abilities shown in this animation/mod is to give Boyfriend his notes. He doesn't do this a lot during his song so it's not that much of a biggie. It's also important to note that in the animation he isn't actually the one "creating" notes on Boyfriend's side - instead, his brother Sans uses psychokinesis to duplicate notes on Papyrus' side. In Undertale itself, he is able to send bones in multiple patterns as an attack, as well as make the player's SOUL affected by gravity. Papyrus is also one of few monsters able to use blue attacks.
I, THE GREAT PAPYRUS, WILL CAPTURE BOTH OF YOU!
BEHOLD, WATCH AND LEARN HUMANS!!
IF IT TAKES SOME FINE TUNES TO CAPTURE YOU...SO BE IT!NYEH HEH HEH HEH HEH HEH HEH HEH!!!
- His initial name was "Times New Roman" during development. Meaning, he would've spoke using the Times New Roman font.
- Papyrus's idle pose is likely a reference to ancient Egyptian drawings that resembles his stance. Ancient Egyptians wrote primarily on papyrus, a type of paper.
- Papyrus's name alludes to the typeface in which he speaks in, that being Papyrus. This is a reference to Helvetica, a webcomic about a skeleton that is named after a font.
- According to Flowey, Papyrus's favorite food is "that oatmeal with the dinosaur eggs."
- He is the only character whose dialogue does not begin with an asterisk.
- He is also the only character to always speak in all caps (Mettaton is an exception since he stops talking in all caps when he becomes Mettaton EX).
- Despite his intolerance towards Sans's humor, Papyrus makes quite a few jokes himself. He even makes puns a great deal more than Sans does at 14 puns compared to 6.
- While Papyrus's "special attack" is shown as a singular bone during his battle, it could be implied that the attack somehow involved a Gaster Blaster.
- In a now deleted tweet, Toby Fox said that Papyrus would use the term "aniki," which is a Japanese honorable term used for older brothers, or superiors. There is a multitude of interpretations for this as it doesn't really give a clear answer. However, in the official Japanese translation released in 2017, Papyrus refers to Sans as "niichan", a somewhat immature way of addressing one's older brother.
- The artbook for his source game reveals that Papyrus was initially going to wear a fedora and be a total creep with no redeeming qualities, and his favorite show was going to be called "My Little Boney" an exact reference to that one side of the My Little Pony community.
- This was alter changed because a mean-spirited character would be very unfitting to the game. His original design was also inspired by Dedan from OFF but has changed a lot since.
- The artbook also reveals that the "Confused" sprites were drawn by Guzusuru, but were omitted since Toby Fox thought they looked "too good".
- In the Japanese localization for Undertale, Papyrus uses an old Japanese writing form. His text goes from right, to left and the symbols are written vertically. This is intended to reference the Papyrus font's old, and antique purpose.
- He also refers to himself as "Ore-Sama" (俺様) which can be the most arrogant thing a person would call themselves in Japan.
- Down To The Bone would later be present in Indie Cross.
Cameos in other mods
- In Vs. Chara, his scarf appears in the background implying he is dead.
Papyrus: I, THE GREAT PAPYRUS WILL CAPTURE BOTH OF YOU,
Papyrus: AND GET ALL THE THINGS I UTTERLY DESSERVE!
Papyrus: RESPECT... RECOGNITION...
Papyrus: I WILL FINALLY ABLE TO JOIN THE ROY-
Papyrus: SING? YOU WANT TO SING?
Papyrus: WELL THEN IF IT TAKES FINE TUNES TO CAPTURE YOU... SO BE IT!!
Papyrus: BE WARNED HUMAN!
Papyrus: I, THE GREAT PAPYRUS, IS GREAT A EVERYTHING INCLUDING SINGING
Papyrus: BEHOLD, WATCH AND LEARN HUMANS!!
Papyrus: NYEH HEH HEH HEH!!!