Warnings: Spoilers, Unsettling, Saddening, Mature Content.
Were you looking for the sequel, Retaken Sanity?
Starving Artist is a mod created by Rebecca_Doodles.
“But don't worry about me. Sacrifices have to be made to get somewhere in life.”
― Rebecca, Aspirer
Rebecca is a 24 year old half demon cartoonist that stars in her own mod, Starving Artist. Her week has 4 songs: Hunger, Aspirer, Crybaby, and Empty.
Not much is known about her, other than she worked 4 years on her own cartoon, hasn't slept since work, and that she wants her parents to be proud of her.
Rebecca appears to be a tall, pale woman with dark blue hair and cyan eyes. She always has a sweat bead under her right eye. She wears a tattered dark blue t-shirt and long black tattered pants as well as dark blue shoes. She holds the mic with her left hand and can also be seen holding a pen in her free hand. In Crybaby and Empty, pink blood is seen trickling from her mouth and on her shirt. Her eyes also change color depending on the notes she hits during Hunger, Aspirer and Crybaby.
Background and Artist
The Starving Artist mod was made for "venting" of Rebecca_doodles overworking.
Rebecca_Doodles and her family had surgeries. Her mother had a diagnose operation which ended up being cancer, her father had a hernia operation, and the author herself had wisdom teeth pulled out. During that time she was the only one making money in the family. This led her to constant overworking to the point being close to hospitalization. Majority of the money making was from drawing a lot of NSFW commissions for others to support her family and her cartoon "Stellapie."
According to the Gamebanana page and announcement on the Twitter account, the artist is doing fine at the moment. She thanks the community for being concerned about her well-being and now knows her boundaries and limits.
- During Hunger, Aspirer, and Crybaby, Rebecca holds the mic like a pen, moving it back and forth as if "drawing" with the base of the mic, she also does the same with an actual pen that she holds in her free hand during Hunger. This may be due to her overworking on her cartoon to the point of incorporating these behaviors into her everyday life.
- At the end of Aspirer and Crybaby, she continuously does held down notes while Boyfriend sings his part, Her down pose in Hunger and Aspirer depicts her squatting down with a sad look on her face, her held down notes in Aspirer may represent her having a mental breakdown or simply contemplating. Crybaby's down pose, however, shows her on her knees coughing out blood, this may be her losing the strength to stand and explaining why she begins "Empty" on her knees.
- In Hunger, Aspirer, and Crybaby, her eye color changes depending on which note she hits.
- It's easy to miss, but in Crybaby, she is crying a bit.
- She repeats the same melody in Hunger, Aspirer, and Crybaby. This could be a metaphor for something like doing the same thing over and over again, without ever getting anywhere.
- Rebecca's color palette is the same as twitter's dark mode, the pink color matching the twitter like system.
- Rebecca sheds her skeleton on occasion, like a snake sheds its skin.
- This was retconned in to explain the skeleton that looks suspiciously like her behind the speakers, a detail originally placed to lampshade her planned death.
- As the week progresses, her icon gets progressively grayer. This may be a representation of her degrading physical or mental health.
- It's easy to miss, but her neutral icon also gets more and more motion lines around it as the week progresses, suggesting shaking motions, which further suggest that her body is getting more and more twitchy, probably due to a lack of blood/sleep.
- Her danger icons all have around the same amount of motion lines.
- An odd detail is that Rebecca progresses from sad to "happy" during the week, they start off with a frown in Hunger and Aspirer, in Crybaby, Rebecca appears to be smiling despite the blood leaking from her mouth, in Empty she is full-on grinning, though when she passes out the smile disappears completely.
- In 1 frame of her idle animation in Hunger and Aspirer, you can see a dot of red on her eyes.
Cameos In Other Mods
Note: All of these cameos are not canon to Rebecca's story:
- In Friday Night Gaming, she appears in the window of Loki's house. Axel has her face pressed up against the glass and holds a sign reading "YOU SHOULD HIRE HER" beside her.
- In VS Sketchy Redrawn, she appears as a drawing in the background.
- Rebecca's blood is bright pink, chosen for contrast with the dark blue colors prevalent in the rest of the mod.
- Like Zardy, she only has the Normal difficulty for her songs.
- In the backgrounds, it's revealed that her cartoon's name is Stellapie.
- The mod is shown to be a depiction of an artist's mental decay, staying up long hours without sleep in order to get work done and be able to pay the bills. The mod also has a secret song, that being Empty. It shares the secret song feature with many other mods.
- A starving artist is an artist who sacrifices material well-being in order to focus on their artwork. They typically live on minimum expenses, either for a lack of business or because all their disposable income goes toward art projects.
- When Boyfriend gets a game over, a stack of money can be seen in his left pocket in place of the usual blue balls.
- On the bookshelf is a doll of character Shen from popular webtoon Bluechair.
- According to Rebecca Doodles in a twitter space: "Any liquid that comes out of the character's body glows in the dark"
- The famous easter-egg in Pixar movies, "A113" (That appears in every single movie with Monsters Inc. being an exception), can be seen in the background in a sign.
- Starting in Aspirer, Boyfriend has a scared or concerned look on his face. In Empty, his face changes back.
- In a development history video by Rebecca_Doodles, she revealed that she originally planned for her persona to die at the end of the mod. However, charter Sand Planet found the mod so depressing that she lied and said Rebecca lived, causing her to change her plans and eventually create Retaken Sanity.
Hunger DialogueRebecca: I have to warn you though I am not a good singer.
Aspirer DialogueRebecca: So let me earn my pay.
Crybaby DialogueRebecca: I need that money, so you better keep going!
- Google Drive (7z)
- Google Drive (zip)
- Google Drive (Source Code)
- Google Drive (Rebecca FLA)
- "She is not dead. Just passed out." - Tweet by @rebecca_doodles. Twitter. May 26, 2021.
- "Starving Artist mod canon lore! Rebecca sheds her skeleton sometimes like a snake sheds its skin." - Tweet by @rebecca_doodles. Twitter. June 11, 2021.
- Tweet by @rebecca_doodles. Twitter. June 11, 2021.
- "Starving Artist 2, RETAKEN SANITY Mod Trailer". YouTube, uploaded by Rebecca Doodles, 20 June 2021, https://youtu.be/9I19_WwU7lk