Warnings: Controversial, Spoilers, Unsettling, Suggestive.
Notices: Large Page, Joke Content.
VS. Brightside is a mod by CeramicSkinStudios and Nebula_Zorua. The mod includes 7 songs. 5 regular, one that's only accessible through a secret code and one to serve as a punishment for trying to cheat in the aformentioned song.
Boyfriend and Girlfriend were walking home, until they saw Brightside (controlled by the parasite) murdering someone. The parasite, in self-defense, grabbed boyfriend and Girlfriend and put them into Brightside's mind.
Boyfriend sings against Brightside until the Parasite takes control of Brightside in his own mind yet again to get rid of Boyfriend. If you play on easy or normal mode, you will be stuck in Brightside's mind forever,also receiving a message telling you to 'challenge yourself'. If you play on hard though, you will see a cutscene where Brightside's masks cracks, and Boyfriend punches his head, getting into the mind of a mind.
You will see Parasite here attached to Brightside's brain.
After battling him and winning, the mod ends. The secret song was said by the creator in their lore video to have no relevance to the plot whatsoever.
“Oh... uh... hi? Welcome to my mind, I guess...”
― Brightside, Saving Face
Brightside is the main antagonist of VS. Brightside. His week includes 5 songs, which are named in order, Saving Face, Parasitic Routine, Grey Matters, Reign of Apathy, and Personal Space Invasion.
After BF and GF witness him committing a murder, the two get sucked into his brain space, where the two of them battle. But, there's something odd about Brightside. Masks, each a different color and emotion appear to and fro... Until the Boyfriend punches the mask, going into Bright's brain, revealing that a Parasite was taking control.
Brightside, without his mask, looks like your run-of-the-mill teenager: blonde hair, black bags under his eyes, a yellow face with x's for eyes on his shirt (possibly a reference to the Nirvana logo), and he is also sitting down. When he has his mask on after Saving Face, he stands up. During his different arrow animations, his mask changes. These include a pink mask that makes him all flustered, a green one which makes him dizzy and sick, a red one makes him look angry or agitated while pulling out a box cutter, and a black one which makes him appear to have a breakdown.
- According to the creator on Discord, Brightside lived in an abusive household with his parents constantly fighting, and he escaped mentally by watching TV, which lead him to be apathetic.
- He killed many people including his evil cruel mental parents.
- The Parasite latched itself onto him in high school. It can only survive in the head of someone who feels no emotion, or feels only extreme emotion. The creator has not written how the Parasite came to exist yet.
- Brightside is also the only character so far who calls you out for playing a stage on Easy or Normal mode. (The stage in question being Reign of Apathy, saying that you won't be able to beat him if you don't challenge yourself).
- Brightside, and his own Parasite are also voiced by a trumpet, with quite a bit of distortion. His majorly distorted lines are voiced by a distorted version of the Vocaloid "Dex".
- Majorly distorted lines can be heard from Brightside sometimes. These include "GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY HEAD", and "Let's play!" in Reign of Apathy, "Get out!" in most of the songs, and last but not least, "Are you having fun yet?" in Parasitic Routine.
- Brightside was actually named after the song Mr. Brightside by the band The Killers. The creator has since been trying to remove that aspect of him, but he doesn't want to change the name because he likes it so much.
- Brightside's creator has actually listed how he would interact with several other mod characters.
- Tricky the Clown - Some epic fight, considering his natural reaction would be to attack Brightside.
- Whitty - Would get along pretty well. With Whitty specifically, he imagines that Whitty would probably be vibing with Brightside, and probably have a smoke sesh. He can also imagine Brightside getting wasted and Whitty just taking him home by carrying him over his shoulder.
- Zardy - Creator has seen the mod, but cannot think of what their interactions would be like.
- Hex - Would get along, as long as Hex doesn't irritate Brightside.
- Sarvente - Would try to convince Brightside to join the church, if only as a follower, but the creator doubts it.
- Ruv - Probably would not get along whatsoever.
- ENA - Would probably be "a dumb baby" (creator's words, not ours) and tag along through the stupid adventures. Like ENA, he would overreact. He sees something shiny? He would let out a big gasp and obsess over what it is. He gets called a mean name? He starts uncontrollably sobbing, and breaking down.
- Brightside, in the creator's other canon, has a Frankenstein's monster-like house cat girlfriend, named Patchwork.
- When asked if Brightside would ever get a B-Sides, Nebula the Zorua, the coder and graphical artist of the mod, said "brightside is bside already.", referring to the fact that B-Sides sounds like Brightside.
- Ceramic's video, "that... bomb guy?" gives Brightside a canon voice, done by Logan Martin. According to some comments, it is actually his first time voice acting for a character.
- Brightside's old theme for one of his canons, Saving Face, not only inspired the main riff in Personal Space Invasion, but also inspired the name of the first song of the mod.
- Brightside is a character that Ceramic would use often, as well as Omega.
Cameos in other mods
Note: All of these cameos are not canon to Brightside's story:
- In Flexy Mod, his mask appears in the background of song 3.
“You dug your grave. Now lie in it.”
― Parasite, Personal Space Invasion
Parasite is Brightside's brain parasite that forced him to murder someone.
Parasite is a yellow looking blob on a brain, that changes different colors whenever they move. Gray for up, green for left, red for right, and blue for down, to go along kind of with Brightside's mask changing and personalities.
- Parasite can only be battled in Hard Mode, making him one of the only characters to be locked behind a difficulty, one other being Gospel/Lucifer Sarvente.
- The Parasite can only survive in the head of someone who feels no emotion, or feels only extreme emotion.
- The Parasite latched on around when Brightside was in high school.
- A constant leitmotif that can be heard in most of Brightside's songs is him telling the person to "GET OUT". This is the most prominent in Parasite's song, Personal Space Invasion, where part of it is just him telling the Boyfriend to "GET OUT", before glitching.
- Parasite can also be heard saying "You had your chance" at the beginning of Personal Space Invasion, along with the phrase "Too bad, try again" later in the song.
- In the game files, there are two files titled "WeDoSomeTroling.png", and "iconTroll". The first one is a sprite sheet for Parasite, except it has emojis on the brain/face. the second one is a copy of the icon grid used in the mod except that the parasites icons are emojis.
- For some reason, Parasite appears as the opponent in the secret song "Personal Fuck You", despite it being a low-quality version of You Are A Fool by Vase.
- The creator has confirmed for Parasite's background to be one of his most impressive pieces of artwork.
Cameos in other mods
Note: All of these cameos are not canon to Parasite's story:
- In Flexy Mod, Parasite's face appears on a shirt in the Merchant's wares, as well as masks based on ENA and Tricky the Clown.
“Youuuu areeee aaaa foool~”
― Vase, You Are A Fool
Vase is the secret opponent of the VS. Brightside mod. By typing in a set of codewords stated by a ARG in the readme in Brightside's files.
Vase appears as a humanoid vase looking creature. They have no legs, and instead have a blackish cloak on, with black tentacles coming out the bottom. Their head is replaced with a vase, with gooey red contents, and a worm slowly seeping out. The vase has a red bow on it. Vase also has a child's raincoat, as well as moldy mannequin hands.
- Vase is the only modded character, other than Updike, whose song can be unlocked by typing a code into the menu.
- Vase is the creator's Youtube channel's mascot.
- Vase is voiced by the Vocaloid "Dex", without any distortion.
- Vase's song could be cheated in with the debug menu. This has been patched however. You Are A Fool's data folder has now since been renamed to "dontgopeekingaroundwhereyoushouldnt".
- If you try to add in You are a Fool to the Freeplay Menu in the latest Brightside update, you get a song named Personal Fuck You, which is You Are A Fool, but loud, and with a whole bunch of other noises added in, making it a cluster of a song. It then crashes your game. Upon booting the game back up, instead of the usual, "this contains flashing lights and imagery some may find disturbing", you are instead greeted with this message:
"You are a fool and a clown. Find the secret song through the legitimate method, or can just not play it at all. You're more than welcome to ask the creator or developer if you're stuck."
- When you crash You Are A Fool this also happens, but both of them will appear.
- Somehow this works when you has unlocked the song using the code, except the background and the note appearances.
- In Personal Fuck You, you can hear Reign of Apathy throughout most of it, the Among Us Musical from the Youtube Rewind 2020, M.I.L.F, and an Among Us emergency meeting sound at the very end.
- According to the creator on Discord, Vase is made out of possessed dirt, except his hands, which are mannequin hands that have grown mold.
- After beating Vase, you will earn Opponent mode, when turned on, you and the opponent will have your places swapped.
- Y o u r j o u r n e y s t a r t s h e r e https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TARv9QJjxg
- One of the creators, Nebula_Zorua, was once a Roblox scripter at one point before moving on to creating other things.
- This is the first mod to lock a song behind a secret code.
- This is a mod to have more than one cutscene, Whitty and some others have more than one as well.
- Vase, the character that sings the You Are A Fool song, is the creators persona. He was put in as a last-minute decision, as said by the creator in their lore video.
- Boyfriend's voice is very high and he also uses real English in the secret song because he is hypnotized.
- This is the reason the notes are moving and also have clown faces on them.
- Going in the debug menu to pick a song only has 9 options: NONE, FO, OL, I AM, YOU, ARE, A, FOOL. All options except the "NONE" option play Personal Fuck You when selected.
- Personal Fuck You has the longest dialogue out of any mod song.
- Personal Fuck You is less a song and more a "punishment" as stated by the creator in a YouTube comment.
- All of the other songs except You Are A Fool, Grey Matters, and Personal Fuck You have a remastered version.
- There is a Roblox accessory called Mr.Brightside's Mask - Yellow that was authorized by CeramicSkinStudios. Due to the name, it is possible that there are other versions coming with different colors.
- A new mask called Mr.Brightside's Mask Black was uploaded to Roblox.
- The song Personal Space Invasion's name is a reference to the game Space Invaders, mentioned by CeramicSkinStudios on a youtube comment.
- VS. Brightside used to have the most amount of songs out of every mod, but Shaggy overtook in the V2 update.
- The Parasite's icon somewhat resembles the 'X Parasite' from some dimensions.
- In the campaing menu, instead of Brightside, a question mark will appear.
2 (Normal & Hard)
"You should not have come here
You should have stayed away
You, the fool, have taken the bait
So now I bring your dismay
With your thoughts and no home
I am a fool
I am a fool
You are a fool
I am a fool
Small mistakes are only tragic
Don't become what you hate the most
Hollow, empty, night but a ghost
You don't listen, ears like resin
If you go you learn no lesson
Don't belong here, be gone presence
Fragile ego, luminescence
You are a fool
I am a foolYou are a fool"
Saving Face DialogueBrightside: So... could you please leave...? Maybe...?
Parasitic Routine DialogueBrightside?: I'll get rid of them for you.
Grey Matters DialogueBrightside?: They'll be gone soon, and you can go back to peacefully sitting in silence, I promise.
Reign of Apathy (Easy Difficulty) DialogueNot Brightside: you'll never get past me if you don't challenge yourself~
Reign of Apathy (Normal Difficulty) DialogueNot Brightside: you'll never get past me if you don't challenge yourself~
Reign of Apathy DialogueNot Brightside: Well, keep up, playtime is over.
Personal Space Invasion DialogueParasite: You dug your grave. Now lie in it.
Personal Fuck You DialogueParasite: This is a Personal Fuck You.