Warnings: Spoilers, Copyrighted, Screen Shaking, Subjectively Unsettling.
Notices: Stub, Demo, Joke Content, Upcoming Content.
“Look, Ortensia! I got a mod!”
― Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, Gettin' Lucky
Vs Oswald is a mod by Jakeneutron. As its name implies, it prominently features Oswald the Lucky Rabbit.
Currently, the mod only has 2 new songs: Rabbit's Luck and Last Straw.
Oswald the Lucky Rabbit
― Oswald, Rabbit's Luck
Oswald the Lucky Rabbit is a classic Disney cartoon character, and the precursor to Mickey Mouse. First appearing in the short film Trolley Troubles on September 5, 1927, Oswald is notable for his ability to disassemble and reshape his body parts at will. He is credited for pioneering “personality animation”, which refers to cartoon characters displaying identifiable emotion. In Oswald’s case, he was often depicted as haughty, feisty, and overzealous, which typically led to comical misadventures that put the rabbit’s trademark luck to the test.
Due to a financial falling out with producer Charles Mintz, Disney abandoned the Oswald series alongside Iwerks and a few other loyalists. Together, the remaining team would independently create Mickey Mouse, Oswald’s successor. Oswald would remain with Universal, and continued to appear in short films through 1938 before fading into obscurity. In 2006, The Walt Disney Company would acquire ownership of Oswald and the Disney-made cartoons. The character would see a resurgence thereafter, beginning with the 2010 video game Epic Mickey, which depicts Oswald as a long-forgotten actor with a vendetta against Mickey. Since then, Oswald has appeared in merchandise, theme parks, and various animated projects.
In this mod, Oswald auditions for a music gig, leading to him rapping against Boyfriend.
Oswald is a classic cartoon rabbit with long rounded ears and a wholly black, small and roundish body and white face, like most monochrome cartoons. He wears blue trousers.
In early cartoons, Oswald was very similar to the early incarnations of Mickey Mouse, that being the mischievous but well-meaning character made popular among cartoons in the 1920s. He was energetic, inventive, adventurous and almost always caused trouble, but found his way out through cunning and wit. Oswald loved to play and make others laugh, but despite his flaws, he has morals and always tries to do the right thing. His personality traits were something never seen at the time, as most cartoon stars had no personality, and he favored the new "emotion" gag over slapstick.
- Oswald seems to not like being called old, taking Girlfriend describing his first song as "old-timey" as an insult.
- Oswald is capable of disassembling, manipulating and reattaching his limbs, as seen in his original cartoons. In Rabbit's Luck, there is a nod to his ability as he takes his foot off and smooches it before the song begins. This could also be a reference to the good-luck charm "rabbit's foot".
- Oswald’s second form idle is only one frame, due to his second form idle never showing up in Rabbit’s Luck.
- Oswald's down pose is the first pose to go below the health bar.
- Oswald's heart shattering in his game over screen is a reference to the game Epic Mickey, with hearts being representations of a character's love from fans. Once a character is forgotten about, their heart disappears.
- Oswald melting into a dark-green puddle is also highly reminiscent of Thinner, a highly destructive substance introduced in Epic Mickey. Using Thinner causes characters to melt into the ground, similar to how Oswald does in his game over scene.
- See also: Spinel (disambiguation).
― Pipecleaner Spinel, Last Straw
Pipecleaner Spinel is a secret opponent in Vs. Oswald added in the Halloween update, with a single song named Last Straw.
In their first form, they bear a very similar appearance to Spinel from Steven Universe. However, they appear to be very... fluffy and expressionless. In the 2nd half of Last Straw, "Spinel" turns completely monochrome and makes weird expressions when they sing, having black eyes with white pupils.
- Spinel's design is based off of an Esty listing for a custom pipe cleaner Spinel. This is also where the background for "Last Straw" originates from.
- Spinel's voice is based on and/or taken from the Jakeneutron video "[SPOILERS] Other Friends (Crackhead Dub)".
- Kind of obvious that Jakeneutron also made this mod.
- The face that is seen in Spinel's down pose during the 2nd half of "Last Straw" is that of her voice actress in the original movie, Sarah Stiles.
- The hands that appear at the end of Last Straw seems to be a reference to Jakeneutron's video "Meet My Other Friends..., in which several hands appear behind Spinel near the end of said video.
Ortensia the Cat is Oswald's wife, she is an upcoming character and is set to appear in the future.
Yakko Warner, one of the main characters from Animaniacs, is planned for an eventual Week 2 update.In the "All It Takes Is One Shark" trailer for the Week 2 update, three other characters from Animaniacs are present: Wakko Warner, Dot Warner, and Dr. Scratchansniff. It is unknown how much of a presence they will have in the update itself.
Gameplay Mechanics - HP Drain
- When Pipecleaner Spinel turns monochrome, she will drain HP from Oswald while she sings.
- This is the third mod known to have a character use at least three sprite sheets in a single song. The previous two were The Trollge Files and Stickman VS FNF.
- Last Straw references "Food Drop" from VS. Pou and "Sussus Moogus" from VS. Impostor.
- It was announced that there will be up to 5 more weeks, Week 2 including Yakko Warner from Animaniacs.
- When Pipecleaner Spinel screams in Last Straw, the game freezes for 2 seconds.
- Last Straw references "Lavender Town", along with tons of other songs from other mods.
1:01 Girlfriend: I'm kinda liking it so far. It's so...Nice and old-timey.
1:21 Oswald: I'M! NOT! THAT! OLD!
1:40 Oswald: Ha! How's that for an old-head?
1:19 Oswald: Ha! How's that for an old-head?
Oswald: Hello? Is, uh... Anyone here? OH! Fuckin' god...
1:37 Spinel: *furious scatting*
2:05 Spinel: *more furious scatting* AAAAA-
2:29 Oswald: WHAT THE FU—
???: You'll be lucky too...
Rabbit's Luck Dialogue
Boyfriend: You're Mickey Mouse!Oswald: With Pleasure!